Friday, July 15, 2011

What pain rx docs give to little children

I remember, when I was around 5 years old, getting my tonsils out. There was no pain medication afterwards------just the admonition to my parents, to "give her lots of ice cream".
Yes, my throat was sore------but the thought of ice cream was yum (and the idea of "as much as you want!" helped my spirits and speeded my healing, I am sure!) -------and the application of that cold ice cream did wonders for any pain-----which quickly disappeared.
Well, was talking with a friend, whose child had tonsils out------and was given a pain med that was described to me, as "one step below oxycontin". (hope I spelled it ok).
My friend, a mental-health professional, was concerned about the doc having told the parents to give it full strength for days-------and the parents cut the drug in half, and saw that the pain was indeed not there.

Now, leaving the situation of my friend---------My question is, are docs asking questions about family history of addiction before prescribing to anyone, including children? I doubt it. If one goes to an emergency room, and sits there for hours (of course)------ and listens carefully------you'll hear the whole verbal transaction in the next bed (with only a curtain separating you). Usually, there is NO questioning of family history of alcoholism or any other drug addiction. Addictive pain meds are given out like jelly beans.

What my wondering is------- we ask ourselves, as a nation (and a world), "how is it that addiction is increasing SO MUCH?"

My guess is, that one part of it, is the fact that children are prescribed perhaps, at times, medications that might be substituted for, when there is alcoholism/addiction in the family. OF COURSE, this is not necessarily true all the time. And only a physician can determine this. No one else. However, it is a question that might be posed to a doctor in some situations where it is appropriate to ask.

(Remember---the liver is not fully formed until a person is 19 years old. Addiction happens SO much more quickly in young people, when there is addiction already in the family.)


























No comments:

Post a Comment